1934: Mayfield Central School opened in Goodmayes Lane. The first Headmaster of the boys school was Mr. James Henry Hack. The first Headmistress of the girls school was Miss May Elizabeth Tappenden. Both came from Beal Modern.
1939: Following the outbreak of World War 2, Harry Verlander left Mayfield to work in an engineering factory. By 1943 he’d joined the army and volunteered for the SOE. In 1944 he parachuted into occupied France with two other members of a combat team code named Jedburgh. Harry’s book ‘My War In SOE’ was published in 2010.
1944: Kenny Ball was a pupil at Mayfield from 1941 to 1944. He played trumpet from the age of 15 and gained experience playing in the bands of Charlie Galbraith, Eric Delaney, and Sid Phillips. In 1958 he formed his own group and quickly became a leader in Britain’s traditional jazz movement.
1945: Mr. C. F. W. Hicks was appointed Master in Charge of Mayfield Central Boys School following the resignation of Mr. Steer.
1946: Doris Garrett left Mayfield and began a career in Music. She became a Fellow of the Royal College of Music and in 2014 she received the MBE for services to music and charity.
1947: The school is named as ‘Mayfield Secondary Modern School’ in the report of H.M. Inspectors dated 14th to 16th May 1947
1948: Alan Cherry left Mayfield and would go on to found Countryside Properties, one of the UK’s leading and most successful property development companies.
1949: A new school uniform was introduced with a blazer badge designed by Art Master, Harry Braham.
1950: The School’s name changes to ‘Mayfield County Secondary School’ and the first photograph is published in the Mayfield Magazine.
1950 School Leavers
1952: Stan Frankland was the Mayfield Boys PE Master who coached the Ilford Schools Football Team that became Essex, London and National Champions in the 1951/52 season. Mayfield also completed a unique double when both the boys and girls schools won the challenge trophies in the Ilford Secondary Schools Athletic Championship meeting at the Cricklefield.
1953: The girls school moved to its new location in Christie Gardens, Chadwell Heath.
The boys school became Ilford Athletic Champions for the second year running.
1955: The motto ‘Nil Sine Labore’ (Nothing Without Labour), suggested by Harry Braham, was changed to ‘Nothing Without Effort’ and adopted by the Boys School.
1958: Miss H. E. Rayward was appointed to the post of Headmistress of the Mayfield Girls School following the retirement of Miss M. E. Tappenden, who had served twenty four years as Headmistress of the Girls School.
1960: When Bill Fifield left Mayfield he started work in a London art studio as an apprentice to become a commercial artist and Illustrator. But his self taught drumming skills led him into the music scene. By the end of the 1960s he was playing in a band called Legend when he met Marc Bolan, the leader of T.Rex. Bolan invited Bill to join the band and renamed him Bill Legend after the band he’d been playing with.
1962: Audrey Nicholson returned to the Mayfield Girls School after spending a year in the USA teaching English Literature at Berkley High School, California.
1965: Mayfield Boys football team won the Gibson Cup, beating Beal Grammar in an exciting final.
1970: Headmaster, Mr C. F. W. Hicks, retired and was replaced by Mr. P. E. A. Birchinell. Mr. Hicks had served twenty five years as Headmaster of the boys school.
1972: Heather Crouch joined the Mayfield Girls School staff as PE Mistress. Heather went on to coach the England Netball Team for eight years in the 1980s and was awarded an MBE for her voluntary services to sport in the 2010 New Year Honours List.
1973: Wilbert Greaves left Mayfield and went on to represent Great Britain in the 110m Hurdles at two Olympics, Moscow in 1980 and Los Angeles in 1984.
1977: In July the Mayfield County Secondary Schools closed for the last time. When they re-opened in September, the girls school had become Chadwell Heath High School and is now ‘Chadwell Heath Academy’. The boys school had moved to Dagenham, amalgamated with Gilbert Miles School and become Mayfield High School, which is now listed as ‘Mayfield School’. The original Mayfield School building in Goodmayes Lane is now the home of Mayespark Primary School.